Got questions about Buzzard's Roost?
How many acres are there at Buzzard's Roost?
There are a total of 951 acres. The Grant Farm Property is 301 acres and the land on Rocky Face Ridge is 650 acres.
How was the Grant Farm property purchased?
Grant Farm was acquired with no property tax funds having to be used. Instead, the purchase was made possible through several local, state and national contributions, including:
• Lyndhurst Foundation (of Chattanooga): $75,000.
• Riverview Foundation (of Chattanooga): $80,000.
• Northwest Georgia Community Foundation: $25,000 (a follow-up to the money it donated 15 years ago toward the purchase of the west side of Rocky Face Ridge).
• Whitfield SPLOST (Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax, with the agreement of the local Southern Off-Road Bicycling Association, or SORBA): $150,000.
• Dalton Save the Battlefields: $5,000.
• Board of Commissioners' TVA easement funds (paid to the county for the TVA easement through the Carbondale Business Park): $45,000.
• Dalton Utilities: $260,000 (to secure part of the watershed feeding into the upper Haig Mill lake).
• National Park Service's American Battlefield Protection Program: $690,000.
• Civil War Trust: $100,000.
Under the purchase agreement, the Civil War Trust acquired the property and will grant a conservation easement to the Georgia Piedmont Land Trust. The Civil War Trust has transferred the property to Whitfield County.